Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bully (Early to Middle Thoughts)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/bullyscholarshipedition/review.html

Finally getting around to playing this. Gamefly had the 360 version on sale for less than fifteen dollars, which I took as a sign from the videogame gods that now was the time to play it. The fact that my used disc arrived unblemished - not a scratch on its beautifully reflective surface - only reaffirmed my belief that this was indeed providence from a higher power, one that exists only in zeroes and ones.

And I'm lovin' every minute of it. I'd go as far as to say that it's superior to all the GTA games on the Playstation 2 and almost on par with GTA IV. The controls are a lot tighter than Rockstar's previous games, and the minigames and races are actually enjoyable. I can't get enough of the boxing matches, which almost feel like Punch-Out!!!

Maybe I'm growing soft in my old age, but it's cool to see Rockstar tell a story that is less violent and, well, kinda innocent. Jimmy, the main character, isn't perfect, but he has a much clearer sense of right and wrong than the GTA protagonists. I thought I'd hate his character, due to my general distaste for punk kids and all the vile things they do to my lawn and the lawns of others, but I should have had more faith in Rockstar. He's truly a memorable character. And as over the top as the usual Rockstar caricatures are, the game has created a feeling of recognition and nostalgia in me, especially during the Halloween and Christmas missions.

Plus, I'm digging the hell out of being the wedgier instead of the wedgiee for a change.

End of line.

No comments: