Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (Release Day)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/

Mad props to Lucasarts this summer. Between partnering with Valve to release XP/Vista compatible versions of their classic titles on Steam, working with Telltale Games to produce a new Monkey Island title, and, today, releasing a Special Edition version of The Secret of Monkey Island, Lucasarts has put their name back on the map in a very big, very positive way.

As I've said before, it's been hard to watch Lucasart's slow, sad decline these past ten years. There's been a few bright spots - mostly games made by other developers, published by Lucasarts - but for the most part, it's been like watching an Ewok fuck a football.

While I'd still prefer for them to put their energy into new, compelling titles, it's nice to see games like The Dig and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on Steam. And the price point for all their titles - including the new Secret of Monkey Island, ten bucks on Steam or Live - is lower than I expected.

Okay, Lucasarts, you got my attention. I'm impressed. But it's going to take more than some re-releases to completely win me back over to your camp...although releasing Zak McKracken on Steam might work.

I'm easy like that.

No comments: