Sunday, October 4, 2009

Halo 3: ODST (Ten Thoughts - Part II)

4) ...but Bungie should've held on to this "noir shooter" concept for another game, specifically a non-Halo game. There's no real mystery to ODST, since this is a side story in the already completed Halo story arc. We know who the bad guys are, we know what Halo does, and we even know who's going to win, live, and die. And each time the story cuts to one of the flashbacks, the game entirely loses its noir vibe, feeling like, well, Halo 1, 2, and 3.

After Reach, I hope Bungie tries this again in a new futuristic setting -- preferably without aliens -- so an actual sense of mystery, danger, and suspense could be achieved.

5) I feel bad about how many times I've killed Nathan Fillion. How many, you ask? Let's just say he's had less canceled shows than deaths under my stewardship. That's how much.

6) Speaking of Nathan Fillion. I think it's quite cool that Bungie designed and animated the character to look like him, and I'm a bit curious as to why fellow Firefly vets Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin didn't get the same treatment. I don't know about you, but I always get a kick out of playing a game where you play as or share the screen with digital representations of famous actors.

7) One last thing about Mr. Fillion. The last time I played a round of Firefight (four players against endless waves of A.I. baddies, for those who aren't aware), I was glad to find out that one of us wasn't playing as Nathan Fillion. Someone was playing as Alan Tudyk's character, so you could actually hear a different set of audio cues and wisecracks in the midst of battle.

That was quite refreshing. True, if you're going to have an army of cloned soldiers, it might as well be an army of Nathan Fillions. But, still....variety is the spice of life.

No comments: