Saturday, November 21, 2009

Star Trek (DVD Release)

Watched it for a third time this week. It's been years since a movie simply made me so...happy. Why? Because it's Star Trek. I know there's a sizable chunk of the Trek fanbase that would disagree, and I would tell them to have a wonderful time being bored to tears by Next Gen (*) or Voyager.

It's not deep, which is why I still think Khan and Undiscovered Country are superior films, but J.J. Abrams had one goal for this movie: to remind people why they fell in love with Trek. And underneath the colossal budget and fancy camerawork, it's a classic Trek story -- full of excitement, wonder, good humor, and hope.

Most importantly, Abrams and the screenwriters keep Trek's core appeal alive and active throughout the movie: Trek stories are about people discovering the best parts (or the worst parts, if you're a villain) of their nature.

This DVD is going to get a lot of play in my house in the years to come.


* Don't get me wrong, I like Next Gen -- but there's no denying that some of the blandest, slowest, preachiest Trek stories come from this show.

No comments: