Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mass Effect 2 (Day One)

 http://geekemporium.blogspot.com/2010/01/mass-effect-2-day-two.html

(I was combing through some old posts this morning to make sure I wasn't repeating myself. I can't really tell you how this article - written on January 27th, 2010 - got today's time stamp, but here it is for posterity.)

* Man, there was no one but virgins and the damned at Gamestop for the midnight release of Mass Effect 2 tonight. And, uh, of course, me.

* Six and half hours in. Can't tell you how pleased I am that the continuous graphical glitches from the original game - pop-up's, framerate drops, watching textures load during the cutscene - on the 360 are gone. Bioware has stated again and again that their intention with this franchise is to make you feel like you are starring in a truly kick ass sci-fi film from the late 70's/early 80's. The first game felt like a truly kick ass sci-fi film from the late 70's/early 80's ... that was continuously skipping and stuttering thanks to a shitty projector at a particularly lousy dollar movie theater.

This criticism may be overly harsh. It never bothered me that much - even when I played through the game again last month - until I started Mass Effect 2. The absence of these problems truly is a revelation.

* Back tomorrow. I'll start getting into the story and Bioware's tweaks and changes to the combat.

No comments: