Sunday, February 24, 2008

Academy Awards

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=14148245&blogID=360026204

I don’t watch the Academy Awards. I can do without the lame jokes, the corny acceptance speeches, and the musical numbers – especially the musical numbers. But if I’m home, I still check Yahoo every half hour or so to see who won.

Above is a link to the nominees and my picks. I’m feeling pretty good about them, especially since I’ve only seen a few of the films. There’s only one I’d change: Best Supporting Actress. I picked Ruby Dee, a screen legend, because I’m certain Julie Christie, another screen legend, is going to win Best Actress – and I thought the Academy would take this year to honor two senior actresses (let's be honest: there's not the same quality of roles for aging women as there are for aging men – at least not in Hollywood – a fact that's simply ludicrous and just not cricket).

But then I thought about Cate Blanchett and her Oscar for playing Kathrine Hepburn in The Aviator, which, I think, required the successful use of a Ouija board. This year she’s up for playing Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan. Now that’s just showing off.

No comments: