Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Picks (Final Verdict)

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/

Well, I did an especially sucktastic job this year with my Oscar picks, with just above a 50% average. Here’s a few of the big ones I got wrong and (possibly) why:

Best Actress and Best Makeup: You should never underestimate The Academy’s love of the bio-pic – especially one that requires some form of physical transformation on the actor's part – which I did.

Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress: I thought The Academy would honor two screen legends – Julie Christie and Ruby Dee.

Best Animated Feature Film: I should have gone with the rat, but I went with Persepolis, because of its unique subject matter, lack of cute talking animals, and classic 2D animation.

Best Director: I thought Paul Thomas Anderson would get this since all the other major awards would go to the Coens.

Best Visual Effects: The Golden Compass was the only film up for the award that I haven’t seen, so I don’t know if it deserved to win or not – but I do know that, even though ILM is the best effects house in the business, The Academy likes to spread the wealth between the different effects studios, whether they earned it or not.

No comments: