Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Black Sheep (2006)

http://www.blacksheep-themovie.com/

In this geek’s opinion, there’s no of genre of film harder to pull off than the horror/comedy.

Getting under your skin while leaving you just comfortable enough to laugh is damned hard work, and it’s a balancing act that few ever pull off. Offhand, I can think of only a few that truly work on both levels – Ghostbusters, Evil Dead II, Tremors, Shaun of the Dead, Slither (feel free to sound off if I’ve missed one). I was hoping to add Black Sheep, a film where mutated killer sheep terrorize the New Zealand countryside, to the list, but it doesn’t live up to those iconic films.

It’s too silly to ever be scary, but not silly enough to be consistently funny. There’s a lot untapped potential here, but the premise alone is brilliant enough for the movie to get by, and I think first time writer/director Jonathan King will be a name to watch in the future. I’d watch it before buying it, but I’d definitely watch it, especially if you’re a fan of the genre.

No comments: