Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bioshock (Second Pass - Part II)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavYkLCb8Tw

Later that same rant

I wanted to say something clever to her, but behind me, I could hear the little sister, her little body – and life – in my hands. I couldn’t do it. I had to save her.

So, I went with the happy ending again, because it felt right. How freaking weird is that?

I haven’t even seen the animation for harvesting a little sister. I plan on playing through Bioshock one more time at least, to get a few more lingering achievements and possibly trying out the complete bastard route.

I have doubts I’ll actually be able to do it. Putting all achievements and all that other nonsense aside, no game has rewarded you more for common decency than Bioshock, and the biggest surprise of its “good” ending is not what actually happens, but how much it makes you care for this world.

Of course, I’m biased. A giant, decaying, retro-futuristic, Art Deco, underwater city, in which you encounter scary monsters and wield tommy guns and hornets that shoot out of your genetically-enhanced fingers, has been a lifelong dream of mine.

No comments: