Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Exorcist III (Part I)

The Exorcist III scared the shit out of me as a kid. I was 11 or 12 at the time, staying up late and watching it on HBO after my parents went to sleep, so they wouldn’t know. I think the excitement of an “R” rated movie (a big deal to an eleven year-old – especially when it’s verboten by your folks) mingled with the more terrifying elements of William Peter Blatty’s film, ‘cause I had nightmares for days. And in those following days, as I tried not to fall asleep to avoid the nightmares that would soon envelop me, I both regretted watching the film and was in appreciative awe of the power it had – that any film could have.
 
I only watched the film once and never thought of it much after that, besides occasionally noticing it in a bargain bin at Best Buy or seeing a few minutes of it when it's the late late movie on one of the networks, a pretty solid guarantee that the movie was crap.
 
Last week, it came into work, and I thought, Why not give it another try? I waited till the middle of the night, after my wife went to sleep, and put the DVD into my Xbox...

No comments: