Saturday, March 8, 2008

Gygax, D&D 3rd Edition, 4th Edition (Part III)

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e

Let’s wrap this up quickly, I’m about done with this subject for now.

I love playing 3.5, though I’ll certainly agree that there are elements that could – should – be streamlined or corrected, like the ones mentioned yesterday, which 4th Edition promises to do. And I think the D&D Insider and D&DI Game Table programs are long overdo, something that should’ve been around since 3rd Edition’s original release, though I fear they’ll charge extra for new minis, rules, races, classes, and items on top of their standard monthly fee ($9.98).

In fact, it’s only that fear which gives me doubt about this new edition. I know Wizards can make a great roleplaying game. But I fear there are elements – most likely the suits at Hasbro – that are more concerned about keeping players dropping cash on a regular basis than creating a rich, enjoyable RPG experience. And this time, I think this greed is being built, at least in some part, into the core rules and design philosophy from the ground up.

One last post on this tomorrow. Promise.

No comments: