Friday, April 11, 2008

Civilization 3 – or, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi is Eating His Breakfast Cereal out of Some Dead Limey's Skull


I decided, against better judgment, to re-install Civilization 3 on my computer.

I love every turn of this game, even though it frustrates the hell out of me, because nothing pisses off every other country in the world more than you going out of your way not to piss everyone off, which is exactly what happened in today's session.

Playing as the English, I decided to play as a peaceful isolationist, enjoying the beautiful countryside and bountiful resources of my native England. This cheesed off the rest of the world something awful for reasons beyond me, and for refusing to be bullied by the rest of the world, I was promptly invaded by every country, led primarily by the Persians and Indians.

And while a good portion of me can appreciate the beautiful irony and karmic justice that is Gandhi kicking some pasty white British ass, it's less enjoyable when it's your pasty white British ass he's kicking.

No comments: