Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Addendum to the Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 Rant

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1374/nvidia_slowing_down_graphics_upgrades/index.html

I postponed finishing yesterday’s rant for two days. Frankly, I'm not happy with how it turned out: it comes across as naive and bitchy, but I decided to ride it out to the bitter, gruesome end.

By Spring of 2009, Dawn of War 2's projected release date, I imagine I will have at least made one or two upgrades to my computer – most likely additional RAM and/or a new video card. But, as with Company of Heroes, I'm not sure that’ll be enough to get a solid 30 FPS out of Dawn of War 2.

One of the reasons why the consoles are kicking the PC's ass is that steady framerates are the developer's responsibility, not the consumers'. I'm not sure how to get PC developers in the same mindset, but catering to gamers with a two or three year-old rig, which is right about how old the XBOX 360 is, would get people back in front of their keyboards.

Imagine how well Crysis would have sold if the lead game designer looked at an early build and said, "All right...looks great, but how does it run on a computer with a Geforce 7 card and a gig of ram?"

No comments: