Thursday, April 3, 2008

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 (Official Announcement - Part I)

http://gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=11945

In the dark future of the 41st Millennium, there are only sequels.

Just read the announcement for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2, and it’s left me with an acute mixture of trepidation, anxiety, and excitement. I’m certain Relic will knock this one out of the park, as they always do, hence the excitement, but the fact that the game is using an enhanced version of the Essence Engine, which powered Company of Heroes, gives me pause.

To put it bluntly, Company of Heroes dick-punched my computer and took its lunch money. I built my current computer just months before Heroes’ release, and even on that brand new, modestly powerful computer, I had to scale things way down to get an acceptable framerate. I can’t begin to imagine the new ways that Dawn of War 2’s engine will abuse and taunt my computer’s most sensitive, private areas.

Relic has been the chief proponent of bringing insane amounts of pretty to the Real-Time Strategy genre, with dozens of other developers following their example, but the price of this has been system requirements as steep as the average FPS. I can’t deny the visceral realism of titles like Company of Heroes...

No comments: