Thursday, May 8, 2008

28 Weeks Later


I love zombie films, but there’s one thing that bothers me about them: we know where the story’s headed – the zombies run amok, everything goes to hell. True, it wouldn’t be much of a film if the survivor’s defenses held and the characters sat around watching M.A.S.H. re-runs, but forty years after Night of Living Dead, I need something more than zombies run amok, everything goes to hell to keep me interested.
 
The zombie film’s that have truly captivated me are the ones in which society attempts to rebuild after the outbreak has, in some form, been contained, movies like Land of the Dead and Fido. I was truly excited to see 28 Weeks Later, to see what the filmmakers did with reclaiming London after the rage virus (how did the first movie manage to be scary with something as lame as the rage virus?) had run its course. To my disappointment, director/co-writer Juan Carlos Fresnadillo does almost nothing with this premise – and the multitude of other interesting ideas presented in the first half. It’s all just there to buy time until the zombies (or infected) run amok and everything goes to hell.

No comments: