Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cloverfield (Part IV)


* ...which brings us to Hud, the character who “films” most of the movie and provides a running commentary so annoying that you can’t wait for him to get devoured.

If there’s one thing I’m sick to death of in American film and television, it’s the celebration of stupid people. I don’t enjoy hearing stupid people say stupid things. It rarely makes me laugh, and it just leaves me feeling depressed – this could be due in part to the village idiot we have for a president, who has unintentionally made up more words than Dr. Suess.

I know, I know. I'm bitter. But I'm comfortable with who I am.

* Lastly, why do we have a character like Hud, created almost exclusively for comic relief, in a movie like this? Like just about every other big-budget “event” movie, the writers seem compelled to cram in jokes throughout the entire runtime that go against the emotional core of the story – most likely out of fear that a movie where Manhattan is bombed back to the stone age might be too much of a downer. This is something that’s plagued movies since the late '80s, and I want it to end.

Anyway, give it a rent, wait till the middle of the night, crank up the volume or put on some headphones, and lose yourself in this nightmare.

No comments: