For reasons unknown to me, one of our younger kids at work, a punk rock sort of kid, who finds my permanently raised geek flag both sad and amusing, is curious about the weekly game night hosted at our house. Not in playing, really - but observing what a geek does with his or her spare time. I told her today that she can only visit the stately Wickett manor after certain criteria have been met. To infiltrate our geek ranks, she must become like us.
Indoctrinating someone of the "Hot Topic" generation is a daunting challenge, to be sure - but I look at it this way: either I convert her to geekdom, or I torture her with hours of Star Trek and D&D. Either way, I will have achieved something.
Keep in mind this is only a rough draft of my plans. Please leave comments and suggestions so we can turn this kid to the good side of the Force.
* * * * *
* Read The Hobbit.
* Watch 5 original Star Trek episodes (Space Seed mandatory), then watch Star Trek 2, 3, 4, and 6 (1 and 5 optional).
* Watch any two Mystery Science Theater 3,000 episodes.
* Watch all three Evil Dead films.
* Watch the original Star Wars trilogy (prequel trilogy optional).
* Watch Blazzing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, History of the World: Part I, and Spaceballs.
* Read 4th Edition Player's Handbook for Dungeons and Dragons, then create a character unaided.
* Watch Alien and Blade Runner for Ridley Scott. Aliens and Terminator 2 for James Cameron.
* * * *
1) According to Gandalf the Grey, wizards are:
b) usually pantless
c) quick to anger
d) a and b
e) a and c
2) Name the three standard lightsaber colors. (Bonus question: What color is Mace Windu's lightsaber?)
3) Who - or what - are more than meets the eye?
4) Name the nine "classic" D&D alignments.
5) Fill in the blank: "He's dead, _______."
6) What is the life span of the Nexus 6 android?
7) Do Tauntauns smell better on the outside or the inside?
8) What kind of scenario is the Kobayashi Maru? Who is the only person to beat it? How did he or she accomplish this?
9) At what speed does one successfully "go to plaid"?
10) In a hundred words or less, please explain who is the better starship captain: Kirk or Picard?
* * * *
Send me your thoughts, people.