Friday, June 12, 2009

Weekend Plans of the Nerd Kind (June 12th - June 14th)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeeves_and_wooster

WRITING:
A very frustrating, unproductive week. Only a few words dribbled out and in an order that entirely failed to please me. Took some notes on a new idea that popped into my head Tuesday morning. It's certainly the best joke/character bit I've come up with in my amateur career. The only problem with this new idea is that, once again, it's not just a story, but an entire world to build, which is not my strong suit.

Since combining words into sentences didn't turn out so hot this week, I decided to be productive with something I like to call Operation I Have Too Much Crap. By "Too Much Crap" I mean old electronics, VHS tapes, action figures, and books & comics.

What does this have to do with writing? Well, all this stuff resides in my office, resulting in some weird form of geek claustrophobia/overload. I'm currently taking a break from a battle with my inner pack-rat to write this. So far, I'm losing. Badly.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking of making some business cards for myself that states this:

Jeremy Wickett
Writer. Gamer. Definer of Rad.

What do you think?

TV and MOVIES: Watched the first disc of the first season of Jeeves and Wooster this week. The fact that Hugh Laurie can do Bertie Wooster and Dr. Gregory House is simply amazing. It's obvious in these first few episodes that Fry and Laurie are settling into their characters, but there's some choice bits of British humor to be found in this series.

The first disc of Voyager: Season 2 came in the mail today. With this series, I am paying penitence for whatever nerd sins I've committed in my thirty years. I wish you could share my pain, people - but then you'd have to watch Voyager. And no one wants that.

Going through a lot of old movies while painting Mike's Warhammer Quest minis (more on that on Sunday.) Deciding between the Alien series or the Hellboy movies for an afternoon's paint. Right now, I'm leading towards the former.

GAMING: On a big Warhammer kick after purchasing The Battle for Skull Pass last week. I've completed about a dozen multiplayer matches of Dawn of War 2 this week, and I've batted about .500 for my online matches. That means I actually won a few games. This could well be a sign of the apocalypse, people. I wouldn't duck and cover just yet - but I'd start finding a good desk to do it under, all the same. I don't know if this means I'm starting to suck less at DoW 2 or if there actually are people out there who suck even more than me.

My addiction for this game is reaching almost Starcraft levels. It might soon be time for an intervention.

I'm also going through the single-player for the original Dawn of War, which runs great on my new laptop. It feels both crude and clunky to go back to that game's base building and resource micro-managing after DoW 2's streamlined multiplayer. But it's still a very solid game that holds up.

Lastly, I'm downloading the free 10-day trial of Warhammer Online. If WoW failed to grab me after its free trial, I doubt this game will do any better. But I wanted to give it a try.

BOOKS: Sadly, the Warhammer kick continues. Reading the 7th Edition rulebook. This is almost too much geek - even for me. Might pick up John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany again, after describing yesterday to a co-worker that Simon Birch, which they love, was an absolute raping of Irving's novel. It's one of my favorite books and a possible cure for all the mental junk food I've been devouring of late.

No comments: