Sunday, July 12, 2009

Battlefield 1943 (First Night)

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/battlefield-1943/1002445p1.html

Dad and brother picked it up, so I downloaded it last night.

Without looking at the instructions or playing a tutorial, I logged onto a server, not knowing the buttons or my equipment. As an infantryman armed with a machine gun, I got into a fight with an opposing infantryman. We circled around each other, unloading our weapons without doing any real damage to the other, until we ran out of ammo at the same time.

At this point, having played many a shooter in my time, I knew the victor of this duel would be whoever shot their last bullet first, because they would finish reloading their weapon first. This turned out to be me. I grinned with satisfaction at my timing/luck, watching my opponent reload his weapon.

Unfortunately, his character animation changed from reloading his machine gun to pulling out something that quite resembled a bazooka. The grin on my face was immediately replaced by a look of confusion...mingled with horror.

"Hey," I thought to myself, "that looks like a bazooka." Seconds later, a bazooka round shot out of the device resembling a bazooka - which was, in my opinion, definitive proof that it was, in fact, a bazooka.

I died...quite messily.

That alone was worth fifteen bucks.

No comments: