Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Zork Anthology on Good Old Games

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_zork_anthology

Debating about picking this up from Good Old Games. The wife would no doubt give me shit for buying something I already own -- but as silly as this might sound, I'd like to make a contribution towards getting all of Infocom's games back in circulation.

I know, corny. Also, I doubt a single Infocom employee will see a dime from this re-release, since Activision now owns these games. Most likely, the modest revenue this generates will go to covering a few take-out lunches for Activision's ever-growing army of lawyers, and I'm not inclined to support that.

Even if I am personally on the fence, I'm all for people getting these games legally, especially if this anthology includes high quality scans of the maps, original prose, and ephemera that came with each Infocom release, one of their most endearing trademarks. It's important to get the complete package with these games, in order to get the full experience.

Of course, I'm a complete Infocom fanboy, and have been since the late 80's, when I found the Commodore 64 version of Moonmist in the bargain bin of my local Babbage's. I still remember the surprise and delight I had with that game, my first text adventure. And I hope people can still get lost in Infocom's games today.

Again, corny. I know.

No comments: