Monday, March 24, 2008

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Standing-Up-Comics-Life/dp/1416553649/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206401597&sr=8-1

I read Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life in two sittings, and from start to finish I was, as always, in silent, appreciative awe of Steve Martin. He is, without a doubt, one of America’s most gifted talents, not only for his obvious skills with the funny, but, as shown in Born Standing Up, with the way he can move you with his frank, gentle, and sentimental (in a good way – yes, it can be done) insight into his personal relationships and his distaste for stardom during his years in stand-up.

The last fifteen pages contain some of the most moving prose I’ve read in a long while. And, of course, I laughed my ass off.

Enough said.

No comments: