Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056217/

Hard to believe, but The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is only the second John Ford and John Wayne film I’ve ever seen. My first experience with both men was The Searchers. I know why people dig the film, but I couldn’t get into it. It was the wrong John Wayne movie to start with, since he plays such an ass in the film (the closest modern approximation I can think of is having Road to Perdition be your first Tom Hanks film), and I really fucking hate white guys in red makeup playing Native Americans. Pisses me off something fearsome.

After watching Liberty Valance, I can see why he was such an icon – though I’ll still take Clint Eastwood over Wayne, any day. Pairing him up with Jimmy Stewart shouldn’t work, but both men bring out the best in the other, and I can’t think of two men who could better personify the opposing arguments found in the film.

I should go back to The Searchers again and give it another try – hopefully, I’ll dig it this time. Between not liking it and Citizen Kane, I’m surprised those AFI jerks haven’t come breaking down my door with torches and pitchforks.

No comments: