Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Gary Gygax (1938-2008)


Don’t really know what to say on this one. It’s not like I knew the guy – and I'm a latecomer to the whole D&D thing: I didn't even start playing till my early 20's, and I'm still not a hardcore roleplayer. I’m not shocked, choked up, or nostalgic on the matter – but I do feel like giving credit where credit is due: gaming, in any medium, would have been very different – and much less – without him.

From what I’ve read about him – and judging from this interview – I think he was incredibly sharp guy that loved games, loved making them, and loved sharing them with the world. And, seriously, with a name like Gygax (short and punchy – with two "g's," an "x," and a "y"), how could he not be destined to have the time of his life creating sci-fi/fantasy worlds?

How about I say thanks to the man and have this done with.

Thanks, Gary.

No comments: