Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Mist (Novella and Film - Part I)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist

* Spoiler rich, this rant is. *

The Mist isn’t just one of my favorite Stephen King stories. It’s one of my favorite stories in any medium, ever. Set in an average grocery store (brilliant, that is – only topped by the mall in George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead), King’s tale of horror and survival – both from external supernatural terrors trying to get in and the collapse of rational thought and common decency from the survivors trapped within the store – has stayed with me and influenced me like few other stories ever have. I’ve waited over fifteen years to see it turned into a film. And before I saw the finished result, I didn't think there was a better person to adapt the story than Frank Darabont.

I was surprised and disappointed with the end result. The Mist isn’t a bad film, just not the one I would've made with the source material. I highly recommend it to fans who love horror films from the 50’s and 60’s, who love interesting stories that are actually about something with well-written characters played by talented character actors.

Darabont makes one enormous blunder that truly surprises me, since he’s so attuned to what makes Stephen King’s stories work: he removes all of the novella's ambiguity...

No comments: